Friday, December 30, 2011

Where is home?

What a difficult question this can be for those of us in the Year in Israel program.  Probably even difficult for anyone who has moved anywhere in the past few years.  For that matter, anyone who just doesn't feel at home wherever they are at.
I think the question is a matter of the heart, how you feel when you are going to some place, or leaving another.  How do I feel as I left Jerusalem yesterday and am now sitting in the Philly airport waiting for my connection to Dayton?  Jerusalem is my home for now.  I didn't want to leave and I want to return soon.
A big part of this is that I have no other home.  Many people can point to some place they grew up as their home.  Others, wherever they lived last year.  It's been a long time and a lot of water under the bridge since Pittsburgh was my home. About the most I can say for that is I'm a big Penguins fan.
Cincinnati is where I will return when I come back for good in May but I have no place there now.  I mean place in both the physical and emotional sense.  It doesn't feel like home.  I am so excited to see my children but for me, it is a visit, not a coming home.  I'm looking forward to the coming home on January 11th.
This may be upsetting for some to read, interesting for others.  All I can say is that life is about change.  Roll with it and maybe a little peace and happiness can follow.  I'm happy in Jerusalem.

2 comments:

  1. Amen!!!!!!
    Hope Cincy is good, hope the jet lag doesn't suck to much, excited to see you when you get back home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Israeli is always thrilled that you're excited to come back to Israel!

    ReplyDelete