Thursday, July 21, 2011

HUC Bowling Team!

A great Wednesday night with my classmates; dinner and bowling.  Now when you go bowling in the United States you come to expect a few things.  We know that in the US, there are some very serious bowlers.  It really doesn't matter where you come from, bowling is everywhere.  It has been called a working man's sport but it's appeal definitely extends beyond the prototypical "working man".  And regardless of ones background, the sport can become quite serious within bowling leagues and tournaments.

Although we were just out to have some fun, observation at the Jerusalem's bowling center clearly indicates that bowling is anything but serious here.  I must tell you that I am far from a serious bowler. I must also admit that I actually did, at one point, own my own bowling ball.  I also did, at one point, participate on a bowling team.  Further, that team did win the league championship.  Leave it to a bunch of young engineers to figure out how to take advantage of a handicap scoring system!

So, the Jerusalem bowling center is much like any American Bowling alley these days.  Just a bunch of people trying to have fun.  The outer areas lined with lockers and house balls, tables, arcade games, billiards, and, of course, a bar.  What is bowling anyway without beer!  Nothing, I say.

And, behind the counter of this seemingly Americanesque establishment is a nice wall of cubbies housing a full size range of bowling shoes.  Hmmmmm,  that's strange.  They all look like their just out of the box.  A quick turn to look at some bowlers explains the pristine shoes.  In Jerusalem, apparently, they are not so picky about bowling foot ware.  An inventory of bowlers feet revealed sandles, tennis shoes, flip flops, even bare feet, or feet in socks.  Clearly, the shoes behind the desk were only for show. Not one person actually bowling was wearing bowling shoes.  

I imagine this was a West meets Israel moment for the proprietors of the bowling center.  I'm sure some American who made aliyah had a wonderful epiphany one night.  He should open a bowling alley.  Israeli's would love it.  What Israeli wouldn't like to hurl a ball at some pins and knock them down.  Based on the number of broken bottles on the street of Jerusalem, I gather that Jerushelami are just dying for an opportunity to throw something.  What could be better!

So, I'm sure they called some friends back in New Jersey or Detroit and arranged to have some used equipment sent over to Jerusalem.  They had a vision that the Yerushalami would just fit right in the bowling scene.  I think however, that regardless of what is brought to Jerusalem, the Yerushalami are going to give it their own flavor and make sure that the rules are theirs and no one else's.

So, no shoes.  I couldn't help but think, "am I going to get hurt?  What happens when my shoes stick to the floor?  Am I going to take a header down the lane with my ball?  Wow, this could be ugly.

I fact, I'm here to tell you that you can have quite a good time with your regular shoes, and no, you won't get hurt - not unless you are an idiot anyway, in which case the shoes really aren't going to make it for you.  I'm also here to tell you that there will be no bowling scholarships at Hebrew Union College.  I may however, to try to make ends meet over here, offer bowling lessons.  Apparently, the same gene that makes for good rabbis and jews,  interferes with or overrides the bowling gene.   Back in the old bowling league days, a 170+ score really wouldn't command any respect at all.  But I was a rock start.  The bowling rabbi!

What a great finish to a day of Ulpan . . . I could finally feel accomplished.  I had beaten the pants off of my classmates!  There is nothing quite like a useless skill for uplifting ones spirits.

I bowled a 171.  Meaningless in the US, but quite an accomplishment here.    The next closest score . . . 83.  Hmmmm - sounds like I may have to do some recruiting when get back to the US.  Sorry, Michael, I did try to hold back a little. I don't know what happened in that 10th frame.

Meaningless, fun games bring people together.  To laugh, share stories, have a beer, and knock down some pins - without bowling shoes.  No reason to take oneself too seriously.

2 comments:

  1. You know they'll give you shoes, right? Let's go bowling again soon. Based on your score, I'll need a 50 point handicap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and if you get the shoes, you can be sure NO ONE has ever worn them! Looking forward to more bowling!

    ReplyDelete